Even though all this heat is making us feel like it’s summer, it’s not quite there yet.
But plenty of us are probably eating a lot of ice cream right now to try and cool off.
One expert in “sensory science” found a seven-step process that’s supposed to give you a really good ice cream eating experience.
So if you want to enjoy eating ice cream in a new way, here’s what you need to know:
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and allow it to defrost for 15 minutes. Why? If the ice cream is too cold, aroma molecules don’t release. The smell plays a big role on how things taste.
- Instead of taking a big bite of ice cream, the scientist recommends scooping up half a teaspoon per bite.
- When putting the spoon in your mouth, place it upside down instead – so the ice cream hits your tongue right away.
- Once the ice cream is in your mouth, roll it around and pay attention to its texture.
- You’re gonna want to breathe through your mouth once you got the ice cream in your mouth, apparently the air passing through helps it hit more of your taste buds.
- Don’t swallow the ice cream right away, ideally you’ll want the ice cream in your mouth for about 12 seconds.
- Repeat each bite with all of these steps for, “a full ice cream taste profile.”